[ckan-discuss] CKAN and INSPIRE

Friedrich Lindenberg friedrich at pudo.org
Tue Dec 7 19:34:15 GMT 2010

Hi all,

On Dec 7, 2010, at 7:41 PM, Stefano Costa wrote:
> inspired by the availability of a fair amount of geodata on the
> http://dati.piemonte.it/ portal, I would like to ask for an update about
> CKAN and INSPIRE.

Let me quote from a summary that John gave on this a few days ago:

quote >>

Certainly can put together a summary of CKAN's capabilities in relation to the INSPIRE directive. ...The standout features are:

1. collect remotely authored GEMINI 2 metadata records;

2. search collected GEMINI 2 metadata records by GEMINI element;

3. present collected GEMINI 2 metadata records to EU.

<< quote

My understanding of this is that we can:

a) Store the general metadata required by INSPIRE as interprested by the UK location programme.
b) Harvest the data from CSW sources
c) soon: pipe it into a GeoNetworks server that will expose a CSW interface for others to harvest.

I'm not sure if we can do any of the following at the moment (I'm putting these out more as questions to John):

a) Display data packages on an OSM/GM map
b) Search for packages by region with gazeteering (?) support (i.e. search traffic in:berlin)
c) Expose data as CSW or one of the other OGC services internally

> There is a ckanext module done by Jo Walsh
> http://www.knowledgeforge.net/ckan/ckanext/file/tip/ckanext/geo/geo_form.py and a wiki page http://wiki.okfn.org/ckan/inspire that is filled with lots of details but little introduction.
>
> To put it shortly, I'd like to make http://it.ckan.net/ INSPIRE-ready
> (we have a few people willing to contribute) and see what can be done in
> terms of catalog geo-visualization (as an external service probably?).

I would like to add on to that: having the ability to support INSPIRE functionality in community catalogues would be a killer feature, I think here in Germany we could have a lot of impact with this.

Friedrich