[ckan-discuss] openness icons

Rufus Pollock rufus.pollock at okfn.org
Wed Dec 8 20:41:49 GMT 2010

On 8 December 2010 13:22, Richard Pope <richard at memespring.co.uk> wrote:
> On Wed, Dec 8, 2010 at 1:20 PM, David Read <david.read at okfn.org> wrote:
>> Yes, both open door and blue bar mean 'open', which means downloadable
>> and open license. Maybe worth standardising the icon to one or the
>> other? We've struggled to indicate this well, so ideas most welcome.
>
> I was going to suggest sticking with these: http://www.opendefinition.org/okd/

Yes (I think you mean http://opendefinition.org/buttons/). BTW Dave is
not quite right (though that is itself instructive on UX!) that blue
bar and open door both mean open:

Open door = openly licensed
Green down arrow = downloadable

Both together = Open Data/Content = Blue Bar

This is obviously not very clear and I suggest:

a) get rid of 'door' symbol
b) keep a download symbol (though perhaps different)
c) use 'open data' buttons for stuff that is open (downloadable and
openly licensed) -- and don't worry about i18n atm.