[ckan-discuss] New name for ckan.net: call for proposals

Mark MacGillivray mark at odaesa.com
Mon Dec 13 12:46:32 GMT 2010

Hello all,

I have not commented thus far to these  proposals, but would like to
add something now:

> ## Name and Domain Name
>
> Stick with current setup: Comprehensive Knowledge Archive Network
> (CKAN) and http://ckan.net/

glad to hear it. CKAN really means something to me.

> ## Tagline
>
> Could replace data with information

Whilst I had no strong preference as to which tagline, could I suggest
not replacing data with information? Data to me means raw resource,
whereas I think information is something more than that, and can bring
negative as well as positive connotations. Sure, data can be biased by
removing some of the content, but then a dataset with carefully
removed content sounds more like covert dissemination of information
than a dataset. I think there is a value in keeping to the word
"data", it sounds more like a pure resource to me. But I would be
interested to hear disagreements to my feelings on this!

Mark