[ckan-discuss] CKAN UI improvements - Homepage

Rufus Pollock rufus.pollock at okfn.org
Wed Dec 29 13:23:46 GMT 2010

On 16 December 2010 16:53, Richard Pope <richard at memespring.co.uk> wrote:
> This is just a first pass, but figured I'd send it round incase anyone
> has any thoughts:
>
> http://ckan.org/wiki/UIRedesignHome

It's already much nicer than what we currently have.

For the front page I think we should try and feed in from the
discussion on the 'tagline' and purpose:
<http://lists.okfn.org/pipermail/ckan-discuss/2010-December/000836.html>.
As summarized there core purposes are:

* Catalogue - register and find (key metadata such as license and
download urls, rich features such as data previews, related packages,
dependencies)
* More than "metadata" - not just basic info like the license, but
collecting resources/scripts/docs related to the data
* Archiving and storage
* Community - share knowledge and knowhow about datasets (the
wiki-like features)
* Automation - support automation of many activities (notification,
archival, conversion)

I think you've already done a good job of having something on each of
these on the front page. The main thing we need we don't have anything
on is the storage.

> How would people feel about some kind of (subtle) animation on the
> left of the page - e.g. a scroller / ticker-tape of recently updated
> tags. Basically I think the homepage needs something that
> demonstraights that CKAN is a living project

A big +1 on this. I completely agree this is needed -- it is what
'recent changes' does currently but rather poorly ...