[ckan-discuss] data.gov.de

Daniel Dietrich daniel.dietrich at okfn.org
Sat Feb 20 11:03:58 GMT 2010

Hi all,

This is Daniel from Berlin, Germany. I have joint the OKFNs "Open government data catalogs Workshop" call on Feb. 11th and was wondering how we proceed from there. I found the call very inspiring even though it was a bit chaotic in the beginning. We separated into two groups. Group 1 focussing on technical/interoperability and Group 2: user interface/experience + community.
I have been in the second one because I am not really a "techie" but would love to follow up what happened in the other group as well. Will there be follow up meetings? What will be the aim?

Today I have some exiting news from Germany: It looks pretty good that we can make a huge step forward here in Germany combining an Apps4Democracy event with the launch of a first version of a german data catalogue. It will not be an "official" one in the first place but with two or tree Cities participating in the pilot project. All this could happen very quickly.

We made our decision to use CKAN and drupal very much like data.gov.uk and like David is doing in Canada. We will also have some funding for own software development and / or a donation to a common codebase a bit later this year.

At this time I would like to ask you to share your knowledge with us. Especially your experiences with the development of the drupal front end. Is there a Documentation on how and where to start if you want to build a custom front end to CKAN?
David: Also I would love to learn more about your experiences with implementation of Azure.

The top priorities for us:

1. Roll out a draft based on Davids "Project Brief: data.gc.ca" [1]
2. Getting the german instance de.ckan running [2]
3. Build a custom form for "add and edit" data like the one Rufus mentioned [3]
4. Build a custom drupal front end

I envision a potential cooperation on a common codebase for data catalog front ends using CKAN. This way we could all contribute and benefit at the same time. Let me know what you think.

Kind regards
Daniel

1. http://docs.google.com/Doc?docid=0ARp4XHAbw5YsZGRoanh4ZnNfNjJmNmJkaDVjYg&hl=en
2. http://de.ckan.net