[ckan-discuss] initial considerations for distribution of CKAN model changes

David Read david.read at okfn.org
Mon Feb 22 18:24:16 GMT 2010

John,

All looks very promising - great stuff! Covered loads of stuff. Here
maybe be a few more issues to consider if you've not already.

One requirement mentioned last week was for manual moderation of each
patch. i.e. you may want to accept some patches but reject others, for
your ckan instance. So not automatic merging in all cases.

It might be worth thinking about exactly what you might see when you
hit 'Recent changes' or 'Package history' in ckan.net. The implication
from your design is that you see all revisions that you've 'pulled'
from elsewhere. I guess each revision would say who its parent(s)
was/were, and which instance of ckan it was changed on.

There's the issue about ckan instances talking to each other that are
at different software versions. So maybe a concept of an API version?

Another use case I'm keen on, is to allow ckan.net to be two ckan
instances kept in tight sync. Then you can take one down for
maintenance / data schema migration, and the other takes the requests
and edits. Then when it's ready you can just sync to its buddy to get
the outstanding changes.

And I'm not aware we've come to any conclusion on how to distribute
the license names/ids since these aren't versioned.

David