[ckan-discuss] 262 New Zealand, 70 Australian datasets happily in CKAN

Rufus Pollock rufus.pollock at okfn.org
Mon Jun 14 09:17:16 BST 2010

On 13 June 2010 03:46, Tim McNamara <paperless at timmcnamara.co.nz> wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> Just a heads up that every dataset from http://data.australia.gov.au &
> http://data.govt.nz is now also found at CKAN

Amazing work Tim. BTW, if you'd be happy to, we'd love to store a copy
of your scripts in our ckanext repo under, say, "nz" and "australia":

<http://knowledgeforge.net/ckan//ckanext>

(If you happen to be using python mercurial easiest way may be to fork
from our mirror on bitbucket: <http://bitbucket.org/okfn/ckanext>, add
changes and then we'll pull)

> There are few things that I would like to do some finishing touches on, but
> will postpone that work until next weekend:
>
> New Zealand datasets are not populated with tags by my script. New Zealand's
> tagging system seems overly complicated. Using rel='tag' in links would have
> been an easier approach.
>
> Generate format-xls/format-pdf/etc tags depending on the file types.

Even better you could add this format info (if you haven't already) to
the resources (they now have a format attribute) and we're sort of
deprecating use of tags for specifying formats in favour of these
dedicated fields.

> Licencing information is not yet being sent to CKAN in the format it wants.
> I have included the original text, but getting a machine to guess what the
> licence is and then match it to the id codes of licences that are already
> accepted seems like a task for when I need to procrastinate. Basically, the
> full licence details appear in the details section down the bottom of each
> page, but not in the info box on the top right.

The question of how we deal with licenses effectively going forward is
an interesting one. Several people have already suggested a dedicated
free text field for license info in addition to the enumeration.
Personally, I feel if it is free text you may as well put that info in
the notes ...

> None of the files have hashes. I am reluctant to add my own hashes to the
> downloaded files, because I can't ensure their authenticity as a third
> party.

Very reasonable, though at this point I think it will be need to be
3rd parties who add them -- or even a bot we use to go through
nightly. (Perhaps we then add a suitable notice no the site). One
reason this is useful is not just doing authenticity but being to tell
when files have been updated (but name kept the same).