[ckan-discuss] Setting up nl.ckan.net?

David Read david.read at okfn.org
Thu Jun 17 16:57:26 BST 2010

Ton,

(Copying these technical questions to ckan-discuss list)

Great to hear that CKAN looks to be useful in the Netherlands!
http://nl.ckan.net/ is now up, so feel free to play with it and add
data.

Regarding your questions:

1. Adding the language translation file is no problem when that is ready.

2. It is easy for CKAN to be the database behind several front-ends.
The easiest way would to have a field like 'region' with values
'Rotterdam' or 'Delft' etc. Each front-end can then specify the
particular region with an extra search term when it calls the search
API.

3. External front-ends connect to CKAN via the API - see
http://knowledgeforge.net/ckan/doc/ckan/api.html
There are also details here of various helpful modules in PHP, Drupal,
Perl, Python etc.
Or many CKAN sites simply use the bundled front-end which is easily
customised through its templates.

4. If you have an RSS feed containing meta-data, it can be imported
into CKAN with a script that loads it via the API. We have various
example scripts of metadata coming from spreadsheets, CSV, XML feeds
etc. written in Python to help.

There are plenty of technical docs at http://knowledgeforge.net/ckan/doc/ckan/
Any more technical questions, do ask!

David Read