[ckan-discuss] SEO Review

Tim McNamara paperless at timmcnamara.co.nz
Sat Jun 26 13:09:04 BST 2010

On 21 June 2010 10:28, Glen Barnes <glen at opengovt.org.nz> wrote:

> Charles Coxhead (http://twitter.com/charlescoxhead) did an SEO site review
> for us which can be found here:
>
> http://www.quicksitereviews.com/ckan-net/

I have implemented one of the suggestions in this video. Of all the points
in here, I think alphabetical pagination of tags would make the biggest
difference to users of CKAN. I've crafted a fairly attractive solution with
JQueryUI's tabs. I thought I would discuss the solution before I worry about
finishing touches like getting JQuery's CSS to comply with CKAN's default
styles.

*The problem*
Currently, CKAN uses Pylon's pagination helper. Which is great at doing what
it does, but it uses numerical values. When people visit
http://www.ckan.net/tag/, they encounter pages 1 ... 16. But, if they're
looking for a specific tag, it wouldn't help them too much.

*My approach*
The tags controller: Select all tags from the db by recycling the SQLAlchemy
Query object that is already there. From there, create a dict with the 0th
letter of each tag as its keys. This results in something like:

tags = dict(
  a=['alphanumeric', 'animal', ... ],
  z=['zebra']
)