[ckan-discuss] Suggestions & questions re: "add a new package" screen

Lauren Bacon lauren at raisedeyebrow.com
Tue Mar 9 20:11:55 GMT 2010

Hello all,

David & I have been talking about how to make the "Add a New Package"
screen more user-friendly, and we have some ideas that we thought might be
worth sharing with the list. I don't have a clear sense of how much work
would be involved in implementing these changes, and I'd love to hear
feedback on that front; I'm a designer, not a developer, so please be
gentle with me.

In general, I feel like this screen could benefit from a structure that
displays both a description for each field, and an example of the content
that belongs in each field. I've put together a rough outline in this
PiratePad:
http://piratepad.net/2C2iwiLDhd

This brainstorm led to a few questions:
1. How would we go about adding descriptions & examples to the form? Is
this simply a styling/theming thing, or would it require deeper
customization?It would be incredibly helpful to be able to have
these fields as drop-down menus, to reduce the margin of error. No idea
how easy/complex that would be to do.]
2. Is it possible to add a default 'http://' to the URL & Resources fields?
Seems like it might reduce error & make data entry a bit quicker to boot.
3. What belongs in the 'Hash' field? Can anyone suggest a description &
example for that one?
4. In addition to David's question about customizing the list of licenses
for the Canadian context (see below), there are some other fields that
could benefit from having either an autocomplete function or a drop-down
menu rather than free text; I'm certain these approaches would improve
consistency and diminish spelling errors, etc.. For example, the Author &
Maintainer fields are great candidates for autocomplete.
5. We're also looking at using the Extras fields for Canada-/specific
purposes. If possible, we'd love a couple of drop-down menus in there, too.
Guessing that's out of the question?

I'd love to hear your thoughts on the above.

Thanks so much,
Lauren