[ckan-discuss] installing ckan on Debian Lenny (no pip)

Rufus Pollock rufus.pollock at okfn.org
Fri Mar 12 10:10:44 GMT 2010

On 12 March 2010 08:46, Sean Burlington <sean at practicalweb.co.uk> wrote:
> Hi,
>  I'd like to install a version of ckan locally to play around with.
>
> However the installation instructions assume you have phtyon-pip which
> isn't available in lenny (and backporting it looks non-trivial)

To follow up Benoit's comments a little less cryptically :)

On lenny (on which we regularly deploy) you want to install virtualenv
and pip via easy_install (easy_install is provided by
python-setuptools which is in apt). easy_install is python-specific
way of installing python packages from the python package index and is
useful for getting both more "recent" versions of python packages and
those not in debian -- thus for example I recommend the latest version
of virtualenv that you'll get with easy_install over the one provided
by apt (1.1.1).

Thus to be absolutely specific you want to do:

$ sudo easy_install virtualenv
$ sudo easy_install pip

Then just follow the pip/virtualenv instructions.

Regards,