[ckan-discuss] update CKAN Norway

John Bywater john.bywater at appropriatesoftware.net
Fri Mar 12 17:43:55 GMT 2010

Hi Olav,

Olav Anders Øvrebø wrote:
> Hi everyone. Thanks to Jonathan and Rufus, we have made good progress on
> a Norwegian language version of CKAN. Using the Transifex tool I have
> finished a first rough translation:
> http://lists.okfn.org/pipermail/ckan-discuss/2010-February/000048.html
>
> As was mentioned in an earlier thread and in my guest blog post, as part
> of our project on Norwegian govt. data we have collected information on
> some 140 data sources in a Google spreadsheet:
> http://tinyurl.com/offdata
>
> I have translated the column headers, and hopefully an import into CKAN
> will be successful (please tell me if I need to do further
> modifications). After no.ckan.net is online with these data sources, I
> hope that we can mobilize the Norwegian open data community to register
> more packages there. It will definitely be more attractive to contribute
> than it was with the simple spreadsheet.

I just created a Python class which reads your spreadsheet into CKAN:
http://knowledgeforge.net/ckan/trac/browser/ckan/getdata/aidinfo.py#L447

It's just a by-product of another project, but I've checked it works. If
it looks useful, please let me know and I'll repackage that code so it's
more convenient. As it stands, you'll need to download that file and
then run something like:

$ python -c "from aidinfo import NorwegianGovernmentLoader;            \
NorwegianGovernmentLoader().run()" --google-email YOUR_EMAIL           \
john.bywater at appropriatesoftware.net --google-password YOUR_PASS       \
--google-spreadsheet-key 0AsEFV_gbhE48dDJOdF94VkdWMGpLS1RNbTBjV2FvZlE  \
--ckan-api-key=YOUR_CKAN_API_KEY  --ckan-api-location=YOUR_CKAN_API

You'll also need to "easy_install" the ckanclient and gdata Python packages:

$ easy_install ckanclient gdata

This CKAN loader code uses the ckanclient (which I also wrote). That
means it can be used to load packages into CKAN over the network (the
others must be run on the same host as the target CKAN instance).

Best wishes,

John.