[ckan-discuss] developer-installation pip error

Rufus Pollock rufus.pollock at okfn.org
Wed Mar 17 09:05:19 GMT 2010

On 17 March 2010 02:18, Ed Summers <ehs at pobox.com> wrote:
> I was just running through the installation documents for ckan
> (http://knowledgeforge.net/ckan/doc/ckan/README.html#developer-installation)
> and noticed that I got an error (after quite a bit seemed to work)
> when installing pip requirements with:
>
>  pip -E pyenv-ckan install -r pip-requirements.txt
>
> """
> error: /home/ed/Projects/ckan/pyenv-ckan/src/licenses/licenses-deploy:
> No such file or directory

> Command /home/ed/Projects/ckan/pyenv-ckan/bin/python -c "import
> setuptools; __file__='/home/ed/Projects/ckan/pyenv-ckan/src/licenses/setup.py';
> execfile('/home/ed/Projects/ckan/pyenv-ckan/src/licenses/setup.py')"
> develop --no-deps failed with error code 1
> Storing complete log in ./pip-log.txt
> """
>
> I've included the pip-log.txt below. I'm new to pip and virtualenv, so
> my apologies if this is a straightforward problem that I should've
> been able to figure out on my own.

Ed: I think this is a problem caused by some temporary brokenness on
HEAD (we've been doing a lot of moving around of code the last couple
of days).

Can I recommend you try installing with the following
pip-requirements.txt which should be pretty stable (obviously if
you're looking to contribute you'll want to move to HEAD but a working
installation should probably be first!):

-e hg+https://knowledgeforge.net/okfn/vdm@vdm-0.6#egg=vdm
-e hg+https://knowledgeforge.net/okfn/licenses@0.2#egg=licenses
-e hg+https://knowledgeforge.net/ckan/ckanclient/hg@ckanclient-v0.2#egg=ckanclient
-e hg+https://knowledgeforge.net/ckan/hg@metastable#egg=ckan

NB: you will want a reasonably new version of virtualenv (I used
latest) in order to avoid Sean's weird error about setuptools version
being wrong.