[ckan-discuss] CKAN package ID debate

David Read david.read at okfn.org
Wed Mar 24 10:40:43 GMT 2010

Thanks for the feedback!

301 redirects seem attractive, but the list of redirects would have to
be stored, replicated across CKAN instances, and you could never reuse
the name again for a different package. Listening for 301s also
complicates clients. So quite a trade-off.

I'd not considered the RDF implications. We could certainly allow IDs
as well as names in the web interface. Will, what do dbpedia/wikipedia
do if an article changes name?

Yes, the ID is randomly generated, following the mercurial model,
thinking ahead to the multiple CKAN instances. So the ID is not
deduceable but as long as you keep records of them, data can be
reloaded into a new database with the same ID. So yes, we'll have to
commit to this, should we reload the database for any reason.

> if two people add an identically named package in two
> different places it will get flagged as a conflict

I like names being unique (as well as IDs) and I don't see any reason
to change that.

David