[ckan-discuss] Fwd: Re: Datacatalog metadata?!

William Waites william.waites at okfn.org
Tue Mar 30 14:48:20 BST 2010

Mistakenly sent from wrong address...

-------- Original Message --------
Subject: 	Re: [ckan-discuss] Datacatalog metadata?!
Date: 	Tue, 30 Mar 2010 14:33:23 +0100
From: 	William Waites <ww at styx.org>
To: 	Antti Poikola <antti.poikola at gmail.com>
CC: 	CKAN discuss <ckan-discuss at lists.okfn.org>

Hi Annti,

I'm actually working on exactly this question within data.gov.uk (you
may have noticed that there is no RDF version of their CKAN instane). I
also put together the semantic.ckan.net though I agree in retrospect
using voiD was a mistake.

Current code is here: http://bitbucket.org/ww/ckanrdf/ with some
examples in http://bitbucket.org/ww/ckanrdf/src/tip/examples/ trying to
use mostly basic DC. I don't like the use of bnodes in my code as in
Peter Krantz' example for author/maintainer and subjects. Need to work
out something better. This data is obtained from the API directly but
could as easily come from the dump you link below. Internal processes
mean there might be some delay before it goes properly "live".

On the bright side the code is cleaner, uses PasteScript, etc.

Once this settles I think we'll move semantic.ckan.net to this as
opposed to the old prototype scripts.

Looking at some of the opengov.se RDF files to see if there's anything
that should be incorporated into the new script.

Feedback very welcome.

Cheers,
-w

On 10-03-30 14:18, Antti Poikola wrote:
> Hello,
>
> Simple questions from a non-programmer again.
>
> What metadata should be collected as required and as optional from
> public sector datasets?
>
> I have been chasing this question allready for some time now. Is there
> any place where the data model/structure of CKAN, semantic CKAN,
> opengov.se, data.gov.uk, data.gov or any other data catalogs are
> documented?
>
> Best what I've got is this link:
> http://data.gov.uk/dataset/data_gov_uk-datasets and these points
> (collected from two emails) from Peter Krantz:
>
> ---CLIP---
>
> Here is an example entry for a dataset expressed  in RDF:
> http://pastie.org/827944
>
> I have tried to use DC  terms for the basics. The void vocabulary is
> explicitly for semweb data  and this has to bee more generic (to be
> able to provide info about a  published spreadsheet for example). What
> do you think?
>
> The next step is to  provide an atom feed where each entry element
> embeds some of this data  and provides a link element to the rdf:
> <link rel="alternate"  href="<url-to-rdf-data>"
> type="application/rdf+xml" />
>
> I have a patch for the  opengov-catalog project ready.
>
> I have implemented the RDF metadata on  opengov.se now. All data is in
> swedish but you get the idea if you look  at an individual dataset:
> http://www.opengov.se/data/42/
>
> ...and its RDF  representation (based on dublin core terms):
> http://www.opengov.se/data/42/rdf/
>
> I have also made sure  an Atom feed contains all datasets (with a link
> element to the RDF  representations in each entry element) here:
> http://www.opengov.se/feeds/data/
>
> Please note that the  feed contains datasets that are not (yet) open.
> Some may have a  commercial license and may not be available on the web.

William Waites                       <ww at styx.org>
Mob: +44 789 798 9965
Fax: +44 131 464 4948
CD70 0498 8AE4 36EA 1CD7  281C 427A 3F36 2130 E9F5