[ckan-discuss] interface versions

David Read david.read at okfn.org
Thu May 6 09:55:08 BST 2010

John,

This is a good overview on the benefits of versioning an API and how
it might be managed - many thanks. (I suggest it is also a benefit for
a client to know which CKAN instance it can work with.)

Now perhaps you could make some specific suggestions of what we should
do in relation to CKAN?
e.g.
* Suggest some example URLs with the version in.
* Do we have a minor/major version number scheme? Can you define the
difference? (e.g. adding a new key to the package dict or a REST
register/entity is a minor change, changing a value format is major)
* Looking at our existing tests, are they sufficient to test the
current version?
* How do we tell if clients are clinging onto new versions? Are you
suggesting clients register that they are still using an API version
(the reference counting thing)? If so, what is the mechanism?
* How do clients know that new versions of the API might be available
and how do we push them to upgrade?

David