[ckan-discuss] Harvesting Dublin Core documents

William Waites ww at eris.okfn.org
Thu Nov 25 14:29:59 GMT 2010

* [2010-11-24 16:53:56 +0000] John Bywater <john.bywater at appropriatesoftware.net> écrit:

] It could be used on either side of the API. CKAN's harvester talks to
] the catalogue model via the presentation layer, CKAN's presentation
] layer has CKAN Package dicts, and the CKAN API just exposes that
] presentation model on the system boundary.

It is very good to have a system boundary like that. Tools such as
agents that check links or accuracy of information reported in package
metadata or harvesting jobs or ckanjson -> fooformat translators
should not worry about anything that is behind that boundary. (I'm not
sure what you mean by "presentation layer" I'm familiar with that term
from the OSI protocol stack but you seem to be using it in a
different way).

By treating this system boundary as fixed and not being tempted to
reach behind it it means that, e.g. Volker's project of making a
geocouch service that mimics the API will be able to be used by the
same tools. It means that different front-ends and visualisations will
be able to work with whichever back-end and be developed
independently. This way we could encourage a whole ecosystem of tools,
ckan having defined the protocol.

Or it is an iron-clad boundary behind which any refactoring is free to
happen...

Cheers,
-w
--