[ckan-discuss] Setting up a community-driven data catalogue in Ireland

Jonathan Gray jonathan.gray at okfn.org
Fri Nov 26 20:13:14 GMT 2010

Hi all,

Just to let you know, over the next few weeks we're going to start the
ball rolling on a community driven Irish data catalogue.

In the first instance this will aim to map out (i) what datasets are
out there, (ii) how open/non-open they are (licensing / terms &
conditions / etc), and (iii) where to download them (or flag missing
URLs if there aren't any bulk download links).

It will be based on the open-source CKAN software [1], which powers
data.gov.uk and over 20 other data catalogues around the world. For
examples of similar community driven data catalogues that we've helped
to set up in other countries, you can see:

France: http://www.nosdonnees.fr/ (launched today)
Canada: http://www.datadotgc.ca/ (set up with David Eaves)
Germany: http://offenedaten.de/
Italy: http://it.ckan.net/

We're going to aim to have something basic operational in time for the
Open Data Hackday on December 4th [2]. If you're interested in helping
out, please pop me a note off list! ;-)

We're particularly eager to hear from Python developers, UI/UX
designers, prospective users (have a feature request?) and any open
data advocates.

All the best,

Jonathan

[1] See: http://ckan.net/ and http://ckan.org/