[ckan-discuss] CKAN integration with gridworks / refine

Tim McNamara paperless at timmcnamara.co.nz
Sat Nov 27 21:39:36 GMT 2010

On 28 November 2010 07:45, Rufus Pollock <rufus.pollock at okfn.org> wrote:

> ### Scenario 2
>
> 1. User visits a package on CKAN.net (or another CKAN instance)
> 2. There is a button on the page "View and edit this dataset in Google
> Refine"
> 3. Click button -- ask them if they have Google refine installed
>  * Yes: instructions for loading dataset into refine
>  * No: load dataset in hosted version of google refine (we could run this)

Hosted option of Refine would probably scare users away. The latency implied
by the massive numbers of AJAX requests seems like providing a hosted
solution is fairly untenable given Google Refine's current architecture.
This would require a massive rewrite of the code.

Also, for the "Yes" option.. these instructions would need to be fairly
clear. Many of the comments on the Refine mailing list seem to be made by
people that don't appear to have an understanding that they're accessing a
web server via localhost. Many people have been trained by modern operating
system to expect executables that hide details. Refine requires that it is
loaded via the command prompt and provides stack traces on errors. These
seem to be terrifying for less technical users.