[ckan-discuss] Multiple package schemas

Richard Cyganiak richard at cyganiak.de
Thu Oct 7 07:19:05 BST 2010

Hi Tim,

On 6 Oct 2010, at 22:53, Tim McNamara wrote:
>> But 'schemas' still might want to modify the behaviour of some of
>> the core
>> fields:
>>
>> - add a note underneath the field
>> - provide a selection of choices for the resource format field
>> - provide a number of checkboxes to add specific tags with special
>> meenings
>> - ...
>>

> Would this level of flexibility be desirable?

The proposal above doesn't add flexibility, it *restricts*
flexibility, by encouraging certain pre-defined values for formats and
tags (which currently are completely unrestricted), and by providing
additional documentation for fields that are currently not documented/
explained at all in the form.

Please have a look at [1] -- this is how we currently ask people in
the Linked Data community to contribute their work to CKAN. Being able
to present all these guidelines directly in the form would be a *huge*
step forward.

Best,
Richard

[1] http://esw.w3.org/TaskForces/CommunityProjects/LinkingOpenData/DataSets/CKANmetainformation