[ckan-discuss] Why is the bibbase package deleted?

Richard Cyganiak richard at cyganiak.de
Sat Sep 25 20:45:20 BST 2010

On 25 Sep 2010, at 13:04, Rufus Pollock wrote:
> On 25 September 2010 12:22, Ed Summers <ehs at pobox.com> wrote:
>> Thanks for the responses Rufus and Richard. I noticed that my little
>> script that updates the graph data started getting a 403 for the
>> (new?) bibbase package?
>>
>>    http://ckan.net/api/rest/package/bibbase
>
> If this package has been deleted you'll get a 403.

Well now this is somewhat frustrating.

This was a valid package containing high-quality metadata.

Why has this package been deleted? By whom? Could someone with the
required privileges (what privileges are required and who has them?)
please check this?

Is this maybe another instance of this one?
http://knowledgeforge.net/ckan/trac/ticket/460

> This is a known 'feature'. The logic is that someone with higher
> privileges (e.g. sysadmin) could look at this package. There has
> already been suggestion that from user perspective a 404 would make
> more sense.

It appears that the web front-end was implemented using the same
logic: When I go to http://ckan.net/package/bibbase, then it redirects
me to my user page (I am already logged in). I suppose the idea is
that a user might possibly have another set of credentials with
different permissions?

No, this behaviour is not helpful.

Richard