[ckan-discuss] CKAN - Google Refine integration

Jo Walsh jo.walsh at ed.ac.uk
Tue Apr 26 13:03:17 BST 2011

This sounds brilliant... I have gone through most of this process to make RDF data to add to CKAN but the last step round trip would make it actually sustainable :)

phone: +441316502973

"Maali, Fadi" <fadi.maali at deri.org> wrote:

Hi all, This has been discussed here before and was also discussed in the last CKAN online community meetup. I will describe here a scenario Richard Cyganiak and I are working on. Our goal is to help publishing datasets currently available in CSV or Excel format as Linked Data. 1. navigate the packages available in a CKAN catalogue from within Google Refine. This is currently implemented as an extension to Google Refine and use the RDF representation of CKAN catalogues (as the ones available at http://semantic.ckan.net). Any package that has a resource understandable by Google Refine (a.k.a CSV, Excel, TSV...) can be opened as a Google Refine project. 2. Google Refine is used to conduct any data cleaning and transformation required. 3. using the "RDF Extension for Google Refine" (available at: http://lablab.linkeddata.deri.ie/2010/grefine-rdf-extension/ ) the data can be exported as RDF 4. The result RDF data is saved back to CKAN and linked to the respective package. It is the last
step actually that is still missing some details and requires discussion. Our tentative ideas about it: - result data is saved to storage.ckan.net (we need help from CKAN guys here) - the result data is considered a new resource of the existing package. This is automatically registered through the CKAN API. - along with the RDF data we save the JSON representation of all Google Refine operations that have been applied to the original data i.e. any one starting with the CSV file on CKAN can re-apply the operations using the JSON representation in Google Refine to get an exact copy of the RDF data Does that look reasonable? Any feedback? Regards, Fadi_____________________________________________