[ckan-discuss] CKAN - Google Refine integration

Richard Cyganiak richard at cyganiak.de
Wed Apr 27 16:23:25 BST 2011

On 27 Apr 2011, at 04:46, Monika Solanki wrote:
>>> Would the dataset providers be notified of their RDF datasets once they become available? It would be worth pointing them to the voID editor.
>>
>> CKAN's package entry form and the VoID editor are pretty much the same thing ... Only one generates an entry in the CKAN database, while the other generates an RDF file that you have to upload somewhere.
>>
>> So to me it makes more sense to just keep all the metadata that describes the dataset in CKAN, rather than putting it into a separate off-site file.
>
> I agree totally if it means that (in most cases) the CKAN metadata is the most comprehensive set of metadata that I can expect for that dataset. One thing though, does this apply only to the current scenario of the CSV/Excel - RDF datasets or RDF datasets published as part of the LOD cloud group at CKAN  in general?

Yes of course, see the link I posted in my original message for an example
http://semantic.ckan.net/record/dcc6715c-bf94-4a89-bbf3-35933da795a5.ttl

Of course, this VoID data available on CKAN shouldn't stop any RDF publisher from publishing their own VoID file on their own site as well.

Best,
Richard