[ckan-discuss] Package Relationships - remove?

David Read david.read at okfn.org
Thu Aug 25 09:34:50 BST 2011

On 24 August 2011 21:47, Rufus Pollock <rufus.pollock at okfn.org> wrote:
> I'm +1 to remove.
>
> Right now this isn't buying anything and we probably want something
> different point. I do think that:
>
> a) At some point I'm pretty sure we will need things like "depends on"
> or "requires"

This was your original reasoning for the feature, and it's not
happened. What do you see changing in the future?

> b) there is a good use case right now for a more general form of
> "connection" which isn't just between datasets but is e.g. from
> dataset to external visualization or policy paper. E.g. it would be
> really nice to say "this government report at url X uses data from
> this dataset" or this visualization at url X uses this dataset (thanks
> to Sam Smith for emphasizing the importance of this to me a few months
> ago)

Great to have a fourth suggestion of a relationship type. But
visualisations are still simply Resources. I made the point that we
could generalise Relationships to include Resources, but that is a
subtle shift, not one that will suddenly create demand for this
feature.

> c) For derivation and transformation relationships (definitely going
> to be important) we need to include resources not just
> datasets/packages (maybe *just* resources).

You started by saying get rid of Relationships and spend the rest of
this email arguing *for* something very similar! ;-)

David