[ckan-discuss] package relationships

Rufus Pollock rufus.pollock at okfn.org
Wed Feb 16 22:40:06 GMT 2011

On 14 February 2011 18:33, Stefano Costa <stefano.costa at okfn.org> wrote:
> Hi CKANers,
> I'd like to ask (again) guidance on package relationships. This is a
> much wanted feature in the Italian case, because of the large number of
> datasets that we will be able to get by means of webscraping,
> translating to sane formats and other ways. We would like to be able to
> track derivative packages. In fact I've already created such a
> relationship http://it.ckan.net/package/linked-open-camera as a test.
>
> What I'd like to know is whether this way of creating relationships is
> going to become the standard way or something different (e.g. based on
> extra key-value pairs) is planned/proposed.

I think proper relationships are probably best though one can abuse
key/values for this :)

The main thing missing (at least from linked data perspective --
correct me if i am wrong Richard!) is the ability to add more info to
the link -- i.e. want not just to link but to say there these are
linked and have 100k triples pointing between them. Adding additional
metadata to links is reasonably straightforward but does require a
change to the core model and hence a migration. If someone wants to
jump in and try this they'll get full support and guidance from the
devs :)

In the mean time I'm going to try adding package relationship editing
to the proof of concept ckan javascript library/editor i'm working on:

<http://rufuspollock.org/code/ckanjs/>
<http://bitbucket.org/rgrp/ckanjs>

> Based on the answer, I'll create a new page on the CKAN wiki.

I think you should start speccing one now even before we reach final
resolution ;)