[ckan-discuss] [ww at styx.org: Re: package relationships]

William Waites ww at styx.org
Thu Feb 17 13:37:05 GMT 2011

This message didn't go through... and didn't bounce either...

----- Forwarded message from William Waites <ww at styx.org> -----

Date: Thu, 17 Feb 2011 10:04:55 +0100
From: William Waites <ww at styx.org>
Subject: Re: [ckan-discuss] package relationships
To: David Raznick <kindly at gmail.com>
Cc: rufus.pollock at okfn.org, ckan-discuss at lists.okfn.org

* [2011-02-16 23:55:08 +0000] David Raznick <kindly at gmail.com> écrit:

] Nonetheless, I personally agree that package relationships better suit
] *linked datasets*.  I do not think however that package relationships suit
] *derived datasets* better than the resource group proposal.  Currently the
] derived relationship type is not being used in ckan.net at all.

A "link" in this sense is a type of relationship. Derivation
is another type of relationship. Derivation alone is not enough
because you almost always want to say how and by whom it is
derived. So you end up with something like,

+-----------------+ wasGeneratedBy   +---------+
| Derived Dataset | ---------------- | Process |
+-----------------+                  +---------+
                                      //  |
   +------------------+     used     //   | controlledBy
   | Source Dataset 1 |------------- /    |
   +------------------+             / +--------+
                                   /  | User / |
           ....                   /   | Person |
                                 /    +--------+
   +------------------+  used   /
   | Source Dataset 1 |--------/

This is more or less the shape of what you are trying to moedl
(using ideas from the Open Provenance Model). Tis is why
neither package extras nor the packages groups will do
a very good job.

-w

--
William Waites                <mailto:ww at styx.org>