[ckan-discuss] FW: Re: Provenance of datasets on CKAN

Stefano Costa stefano.costa at okfn.org
Fri Feb 18 11:37:49 GMT 2011

Il giorno ven, 18/02/2011 alle 12.21 +0100, William Waites ha scritto:

> yet longer answer: it is possible to use package extras or resource
> extras to hold e.g. pgp signatures of data. to establish some idea of
> provenance you have to check the signatures and evaluate the trust of
> the signing key. this requires explicit measures taken by the
> publisher.

Not sure I understand correctly, but doesn't the current "hash" provide
a lo-fi version of this same approach? Just wondering if it could be
extended rather than started from scratch.

Also, agree that if there's no "signature" from the publisher all
guarantees are from those who compile the catalog. This is not so
different from e.g. Wikipedia, even though the nature of what CKAN does
is different (the process being sort of comparable).

Ciao
steko

--
Stefano Costa
Coordinator, Working Group on Open Data in Archaeology