[ckan-discuss] lock icon

Rufus Pollock rufus.pollock at okfn.org
Fri Jan 28 08:55:02 GMT 2011

2011/1/18 Olav Anders Øvrebø <olav.ovrebo at gmail.com>:
> I fear that the new lock icon that appears on search result lists or tag
> pages together with "Data Not Open" can mislead many users. If I were new to
> the world of datasets, I would quite possibly interpret the lock and text as
> "no data can be downloaded here". Which of course would very often be wrong.
> Example: http://ckan.net/tag/no-deref-vocab

This is a good point and other people have remarked on this. Perhaps
we can show the list of formats and reserve the lock icon for where
the data is non-open?

> What do you think? Perhaps the openness according to the Open Definition
> doesn't have to be marked on the search results list?

I think we still want to indicate this -- it is one way to encourage
people to have open material -- but perhaps we can indicate that
material is available for download even if license is not open.

What do you think?