[ckan-discuss] : Convention for recording data "quality" information (Rufus Pollock)

Martin Kaltenböck m.kaltenboeck at semantic-web.at
Fri Jul 15 09:37:18 BST 2011

Rufus,

that is a very important issue - the quality of open data sets is discussed
at nearly any event I am attending at the moment- also here in Mainz at the
semantics & media conference at the moment where the German media industry meets...

The key question here yesterday was: what data set can I (media / publisher etc) trust in
from the masses of open data sets available - which one to use when enriching
our content etc...

The outcome yesterday was that quality is also ever a question of provenance - so
I would also recommend to take the ideas of the respective W3C group into
account: http://www.w3.org/2011/prov/wiki/Main_Page

Furthermore I do think that the suggested quality rating is a very good first approach -
to compare quality better over various data sets maybe a more detailed categorisation system that
has also a description (what e.g. 3 stars mean) should be kept in mind...that is something
we are also discussing in Austria for the open gov data sets...

Cheers from Mainz - Martin

--
| Martin Kaltenböck, CMC
| Managing Director - Semantic Web Company (SWC)
| Lerchenfelder Guertel 43, A - 1160 Vienna, Austria
| Tel +43.1.402 12 35 - 25 | Fax +43.1.402 12 35 - 22

COMPANY INFORMATION
| http://www.semantic-web.at
| http://blog.semantic-web.at
| http://www.ogd2011.at