[ckan-discuss] Questions for "RDF/XML" of CKAN page

David Read david.read at okfn.org
Fri Jul 15 15:16:49 BST 2011

On 15 July 2011 12:18, Tetsuro TOYODA <toyoda at base.riken.jp> wrote:
> Dear David,
>
> Thank you for giving us your quick reply.
>
> http://biolod.org is the download site of biological databases funded by the National Database Integration Project of Japan.
>
> RDF files are already generated and supplied from the site.
>
> Could you advise us how to register the data files including RDFs into CKAN.

Tetsuro
Basically we need to write a little code that transforms the biolod
RDF metadata to the CKAN JSON format.

To do a one-off import then you should use the CKAN API [1]. You could
do it in Python and use the ckanclient library [2].

Or to do a daily automatic import you would write a harvester. Derive
from the base class [3]
and write a custom "_create_or_update_package" method.

This way has the advantage that the original RDF is stored alongside
the CKAN version. We'd be happy to install this harvester in
thedatahub.org or another CKAN instance.

David

[1] http://packages.python.org/ckan/api.html
[2] https://bitbucket.org/okfn/ckanclient
[3] https://bitbucket.org/okfn/ckanext-harvest/src/61844c8d2374/ckanext/harvest/harvesters/base.py