[ckan-discuss] [ckan-dev] Docs status

Anna Powell-Smith annapowellsmith at okfn.org
Mon Jul 18 18:00:37 BST 2011

Hi David, thanks for this! some comments below.

On 18 July 2011 16:48, David Read <david.read at okfn.org> wrote:
> Anna,
>
> (Moving to ckan-discuss list) It's great to see this 2-page CKAN info
> document almost ready and including lots of the ideas from OKCon. Here
> are a few of my ideas to ponder. Others, please pitch in and help us
> improve it further.
>
>> https://docs.google.com/document/d/1u18fIfdJOQqk9PxUl1SnucRGR8w4axmrglCL05bM2Rg/edit?hl=en_US
>
> I think the diagram could be iterated further. The annotations are in
> strong boxes with arrows, which confuses them with the software blocks
> which have the same arrows. I suggest the annotations have different
> arrows and their coloured blocks have no outlines.

Amended. BTW, I hope a graphic designer will give this a proper
once-over before it gets published, you don't want to rely on my
design skills.

> I'd also rearrange the core CKAN block to have the "database of
> datasets" as the standard cylinder shape (indicating database) and

Can't do this in Gdocs, but have noted in a comment.

> maybe change the text to "details of datasets" with the Web front-end
> and API above it. it should be "catalogue of datasets" rather than
> "database of datasets" in the diagram, to match the text.

Changed to 'catalogue of datasets' and have noted in comment that
layout can be changed as the designer thinks best.

> We should make it clear that the data can either be stored in the CKAN
> data storage (should we call it CKAN Web Store? or is that separate?)

Not sure I understand this - either in the CKAN data storage or... where?

> "social integration with Facebook and Twitter" - I don't think we have
> that (yet). Is this something we're planning? Or reference to our
> community extension with Apps and Ideas like data.gov.uk?

It's a reference to Disqus, which does let you post from your Facebook
and Twitter accounts of course, but is this it too much like
sales-speak?

> "Excel data importer" -> "Catalogue Import from Excel"

Changed.

> "You can choose to share your public data with other CKAN sites, so
> your data is automatically integrated into standard CKAN search and
> API systems, " how about something about "plugged in to the existing
> worldwide network of data consumers and app developers" rather than
> the technical details?

I've just deleted this line, so it reads 'share your public data with
other CKAN sites, ensuring it reaches the largest possible audience'.

thanks
Anna