[ckan-discuss] s/package/data set/g

Michael Hausenblas michael.hausenblas at deri.org
Tue Jul 26 08:37:11 BST 2011

I'm still +1 re dataset but if the majority thinks that package is the
'better' term (for whatever 'better' means in this context) I guess
I'll just shut up.

>>> I'm certainly -1 on this because I think it might confuse the users.

Jindra, that's an interesting question. Who *are* the users? Can
anyone point me to a precise definition of what we consider a profile
of a typical and maybe a not-so-typical (aka power user), please?
Maybe I've missed this one ...

Cheers,
	Michael
--
Dr. Michael Hausenblas, Research Fellow
LiDRC - Linked Data Research Centre

On 26 Jul 2011, at 08:27, Tim McNamara wrote:

> I personally prefer 'package' also. My thinking was that dataset would
> be less confusing. From Jindřich's comments, that assumption may not
> be valid and there are probably more important tickets to work on.
>
> Have we had any direct complaints? If not, I suggest that we focus on
> other areas.
>
> 2011/7/26 Pablo Mendes <pablomendes at gmail.com>:
>> Have you guys discussed what to do with "resources" when package
>> becomes
>> dataset? Datasets continue containing resources? Or datasets contain
>> datasets?
>>
>> I didn't really have anything against package. Does "data package"
>> please
>> greeks and trojans?
>>
>> Cheers
>> Pablo
>>
>> On Jul 25, 2011 10:45 AM, "Jindřich Mynarz"
>> <mynarzjindrich at gmail.com>
>> wrote:
>>> I'm certainly -1 on this because I think it might confuse the users.
>>> The package is not the dataset, it's a *description* (metadata) of
>>> the
>>> dataset [1]. Maybe it's not the best term to use, but it's better