[ckan-discuss] Conventions for Location related extras (Was Geographic Metadata)

Adrià Mercader amercadero at gmail.com
Wed Jun 1 10:03:57 BST 2011

Hi,
Thanks for your comments.

2011/6/1 Tim McNamara <paperless at timmcnamara.co.nz>:
> On 1 June 2011 10:30, Stefano Costa <stefano.costa at okfn.org> wrote:
>> Adrià,
>> if you mean "bounding box" (like the examples seem to imply), then
>> please call it "bounding box" so that everybody understand that Polygon
>> is actually a rectangle, and we don't find CKAN filled with 5MB GeoJSON
>> polygons (and what about the English coastline?!).
Yes, I meant bounding box. Perhaps my original proposal of "extent" is
more accurate: extent as in "geographic extent covered by this
package".
90% of cases this will be a rectangle, but as Tim pointed out there
are special cases. As for the points, I suspect that in quite a few
cases this extra will be filled via a geolocation service, which
generally return point coordinates (i.e. people won't bother to find
the exact bounding box for the "London" city limit polygon). As I
mentioned before, I'm more interested in agreeing their names than
their contents.

Stefano, Tim, any thoughts on how would you name the three extras?

As for the 5MB GeoJSON, I'd expect a little common sense from the user
in the same way people does not paste 10 pages of text if the notes
field.

Cheers,

Adrià