[ckan-discuss] Deletion of packages

Rufus Pollock rufus.pollock at okfn.org
Tue Jun 14 18:21:39 BST 2011

On 14 June 2011 18:17, Anja Jentzsch <anja at anjeve.de> wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> I wonder why even an admin is not allowed to delete packages on CKAN? If there is no reason to prevent admins from doing that, can we have this feature?

Do you mean as an admin of the package or as a sysadmin? I'm certain
that as a sysadmin you can put a package in a deleted state (and more
significantly you can delete revisions and then purge then in
/ckan-admin/trash)

> There are mainly three reasons a package might a deletion candidate:
> 1) mistyped package name
> 2) outdated and unavailable
> 3) misleading (as bio2rdf)

Agreed though think both (2) and (3) might better be addressed by some
special tagging system e.g. meta.obsolete meta.virtual (for virtual
packages that are "implemented" by other packages/datasets)