[ckan-discuss] Renaming ckan.net to thedatahub.org

Tim McNamara paperless at timmcnamara.co.nz
Thu Jun 23 02:58:09 BST 2011

I think renaming CKAN.net would be beneficial. The "how do you spell that?"
question is unrelenting. There's something clearly offputting to some of the
target audience. But, it's probably true that "datahub" and close variants
would be fairly poor trade marks. It's heavily overloaded and would lead to
poor SEO. However, it's clear that CKAN.net's aim is the be the connection
point for the world's data.

The good aspects of CKAN are its high distinctiveness. The best trade marks
don't mean anything when they're created.

I'm having a difficult time thinking of variations of hub, data, centre,
etc. Here are some pointers for others if/they like names. Rather than a
network analogy, here are some other ways of thinking of ckan.net's role:

 - as a catalyst or an accelerant. We speed analysts' jobs by making things
easier to find. The lubricant for turning data to information.
 - as infrastructure. We're the scaffold behind data analysis.
 - as a connector. We're acting as a diplomat/courier between providers and
consumers
 - as a democratiser, providing everyone access to the world's data.

I have started thinking of other marks at
http://okfnpad.org/CKAN-net-renaming