[ckan-discuss] OKF's Google Summer of Code application!

Egon Willighagen egon.willighagen at gmail.com
Fri Mar 4 20:41:53 GMT 2011

Hi Jonathan,

On Tue, Mar 1, 2011 at 5:17 PM, Jonathan Gray <jonathan.gray at okfn.org> wrote:
> Suggest we could put in for:
>
>  * CKAN
>  * WDMMG / Open Spending
>  * Annotator
>  * Public Domain Works
>  * Bibliographica
>  * Open Literature
>  * YourTopia
>  * [others?]

There is interest from http://toxbank.net/ to do something.
Toxicological data is not abundant, and potential providers are not
too eager, bar opentox.org. It would be great to have a student to
work on Open Data in toxicology, and I think I can be available as
mentor. I have been one before (for kde.org) but would need a
co-mentor to cover my back while I am on holiday and/or conference
this summer.

> In the first instance we need:
>
>  * Someone to coordinate the OKF's Google Summer of Code application
> (suggest internal deadline of 8-9th March to give us time to review
> this)
>  * Someone to be the OKF's main 'administrator' for Summer of Code

I do not think I will have much time to contribute, but like to
express my full support for an application. Since the application is
in fact does ask about giving some idea on how prepared the
organization is, I invite others to openly show their willingness to
mentor during the summer too. It will all be online, and mentoring a
student takes some effort, but is not solely on the mentor's
shoulders.

So, if you like the idea of the GSoC, please do show your support now!
This can be as simple as providing ideas!

Egon

--
Dr E.L. Willighagen
Postdoctoral Researcher