[ckan-discuss] Improved preview support for resources

Rufus Pollock rufus.pollock at okfn.org
Wed Mar 30 15:43:04 BST 2011

On 30 March 2011 15:16, Tony Hirst <a.j.hirst at open.ac.uk> wrote:
> rufus.pollock at okfn.org writes:
> with appspot timing out on large (e.g. > 500k) xls files)
> Zoho has an xls viewer (I've seen links to zoho previews on data.gov.uk) -
> not sure if there's an api that lets you query the sheet though.grab the
> first N rows?

I don't know, would be interesting if it did.

> I have a really really really horribly coded google spreadsheet previewer
> (next pass I'll try to jquerify it)  -

Here was my effort (from a while ago):

<https://bitbucket.org/okfn/wdmmg-js/src/de0979d78b46/src/scripts/gdocs.js>
<https://bitbucket.org/okfn/wdmmg-js/src/de0979d78b46/src/scripts/utils.js>

> http://ouseful.open.ac.uk/datastore/iip11.html?run=true&gsKey=tPfI0kerLllVLcQw7-P1FcQ&gqc=E%2Csum(H)%2Csum(H)%2Fsum(F)&gqw=F%20%3E0%20and%20E%20contains%20%22Drugs%22&gqo=&gql=&gqg=E&gqad=desc
>
> I was wondering whether a general purpose library - equivalent of something
> like mapstraction - that could parse eg google viz api json, sparql json,
> etc on the one hand, and drop data easily into a vanilla HMTL table, a
> google chart/viz api datatable, yui datatable, JIT hierarchical data format,
> whatever protoviz uses etc on the other might be useful. Idea would then be
> you have a simple abstraction layer that lets you eg pull data from goog
> spreadsheet and render it with JIT, or data from sparql json and render it
> with YUi widgets over the YUI datatable?

I started a rather miscellaneous list of existing data formats that
may be relevant (focused on those with a JSON serialization):

<http://wiki.ckan.net/Data_Formats>

> As far as glue logic goes, I use sparqlproxy for handling sparql -
> http://data-gov.tw.rpi.edu/ws/sparqlproxy.php
> [ Code: http://logd.tw.rpi.edu/technology/SparqlProxy  ]

Very useful. I've been using this js library to talk to jsonp enabled
sparql endpoints:

<http://bibliographica.org/js/vendor/sparql.js>