[ckan-discuss] First post...

Seb Bacon seb.bacon at gmail.com
Wed May 4 09:12:57 BST 2011

Hi,

On 4 May 2011 01:37, Daniel Smith <opened.to at gmail.com> wrote:
> Hi all.
> First post here. Please be gentle...

Welcome to the community!

> A few questions at first, please?
>
> 1. I am from the US, and wondered if there were any instances
> underway or in planning from the United States?
> (I went through the list, and at first thought the last one said Open
> Data Alabama, but upon clearer vision, eyes not what they used to, it
> said Albania. That was a joke.)

Someone else should be able to answer this, I'm not aware of one.

> 2. Is there a cms or blog engine incorporated into ckan?
> I notice that when you go to login at the ckan site, it takes you to a
> wordpress login.
> Is wordpress the blog of choice of ckan?

There isn't particularly a blog of choice -- that said, we use it for
all our blogging.

There is also a CKAN extension called Wordpresser which allows you to
embed a Wordpress instance within in CKAN instance's look and feel:

  http://ckan.org/2011/04/04/wordpresser-extension-released/

> 3. I have been a longtime fan of data.gov.uk.
> When I check source on their site, they make use of apache solr.
> Is this useage of solr incorporated into ckan automatically, or their
> own choice as addition?

This is a standard CKAN extension:

  https://bitbucket.org/okfn/ckanext-solr

> 4. Also, on the data,gov.uk site, they use mediawiki as their wiki software.
> This is also done via or in conjunction with ckan, or no?

It's not integrated with CKAN in any way as far as I know, just
presented alongside (but others know more about that project than me
and may correct me).

Regards,

Seb