[ckan-discuss] Idea: Derivative data package

Stefano Costa stefano.costa at okfn.org
Mon May 16 10:02:50 BST 2011

Il giorno Mon, 16/05/2011 alle 15.28 +1200, Tim McNamara ha scritto:

> For example, New Zealand's Historic Places Trust provides a register
> of heritage buildings[0]. There's fairly usable search search
> functionality, but little ability to get a dump of the whole register.
> The Trust is also pretty reluctant to offer one[1]. However, all of
> the non-copyright material has been scraped from the site, free for
> anyone to download[2].
>
> Ideally, CKAN would meet two needs. First, it would provide a link to
> all sources of the data, especially sources which are cleaned up or
> more complete than the original. Secondly, it would appease officials'
> concerns that their version is labelled official.

Tim,
I agree with you that this is key, but I think there is already such a
feature in CKAN, albeit not exposed through the web user interface. See
e.g. http://it.ckan.net/package/linked-open-camera that is marked as
derivative of http://it.ckan.net/package/partito-radicale-it-open-camera

I did this via the API, and documented briefly here
http://wiki.ckan.net/Package_relationships ‒ not exhaustive but it's a
start..

Ciao
steko