[ckan-discuss] PyDAP plugin

Flavio Coelho fccoelho at gmail.com
Tue May 24 12:26:02 BST 2011

Hi,

I have been following some of the discussions regarding finer grained access
to datasets, such as the ability to fetch columns or row-ranges and I
thought about DAP[1] and its Python Implementation, PyDAP[2].

PyDAP is able to provide introspection and fetching of data based on a
really simple (and pythonic) query interface.

PyDAP comes with both a client and a server for DAP supported datatypes.
Since its server is a wsgi app, I think it could be coupled to Ckan in a
very straightforward way: every locally stored dataset, which is also
compatible with PyDAP, could get an URL which would point to the pydap
server.

It's just an idea. Even if OpenDAP is never directly suported by Ckan with a
client or a server, I still think it would be a good Idea to have a standard
way of identify DAP enabled datasets, so that users can interact with them
in a more powerful way.

[1] http://opendap.org
[2] http://pydap.org/

Flávio Codeço Coelho