[ckan-discuss] Conventions for Location related extras (Was Geographic Metadata)

Adrià Mercader amercadero at gmail.com
Tue May 31 11:58:36 BST 2011

I'm bumping this and updating the topic of this discussion because I'd
like to hear your thoughts about it.
There were different things being discussed on the previous thread,
and I would like to focus this one only on how to store location
related information in a package.
If I'm not mistaken, the only related current convention is to create
a tag country.{2 digit ISO code} (please do correct me if I'm wrong).
This sounds fine for me, and I think it can be used in parallel to my
proposal, but we need a more generic mechanism, that supports
different level (cities, regions) and machine-friendly formats
(geojson/wkt/...) to make the data useful.
I'm thinking of three possible extras (I don't really mind about the
names: extent, location, geo...).

* extent-text: The textual representation of the extent of the package
We could discuss recommending a controlled vocabulary or allowing free text

* extent: The geographic representation of the extent of the package
Probably GeoJSON, but also worth considering WKT

* extent-ld: A Linked Data link
I'm not really an expert on this side, but I guess it could be
something like http://www.geonames.org/2635167/about.rdf ?

None of them should be mandatory per se, but some of them might be for
certain functionalities, e.g. if you wanted the package to show up in
spatial queries the "extent" extra should be present.

This is also compatible with other tags / extras like the ones Tim was
suggesting for continents.

I'm not entering on how to add or populate this extras (via form,
harvesting, etc), just discussing which ones they should be and how
should they be named.

Cheers,

Adrià