[ckan-discuss] Fwd: [ckan-dev] Proposed changes to dataset and resource WUI UX

David Read david.read at okfn.org
Mon Nov 14 10:57:44 GMT 2011

John Glover <john.glover at okfn.org> wrote:

Hi all,

We are thinking about making a few changes to the view pages for
datasets and resources and would like some feedback. The main issues
that we want to address is that the resource info is not prominent or
clear enough, and there is a lot more resource information that we
would like to show, but it won't fit on the page with our current
layout (such as links for cached copies and webstore data API links,
integrated previews of the data, etc).

The proposal so far is to create a separate view page for each
resource, with the dataset view page containing a list of resources
that looks more like our current search results than the simple 3
column table that we have currently. This would allow us to include
extra resource data on these separate pages, and would also allow
people to provide web links directly to resource information. We are
also thinking about reducing some of the information that is shown on
the dataset view page to make things visually less cluttered, mainly
by most of the content of the right sidebar into a 'more information'
tab.

Mockups are available here: http://wiki.ckan.org/Dataset_and_Resource_Pages

Any thoughts?

Thanks,