[ckan-discuss] CKAN suggestions

Richard Cyganiak richard at cyganiak.de
Tue Nov 22 14:00:34 GMT 2011

(Apologies for responding to such old mails – I'm catching up on some unread list mails, and some things are just too interesting to let them pass by without a comment ;-)

On 31 Oct 2011, at 17:22, David Read wrote:
> * Controlled Vocabulary Support - SKOS
>     Besides the existing folksonomy tags for packages, there should be
> the possibility that the catalog administrator could set up a
> controlled vocabulary, in SKOS format, that would be used in a
> specific field when an user would register or edit a package. The
> field could use autocomplete to search on the labels for the
> skos:Concept s and display them for users, but record the concept URIs
> on the database.
>
> DR: I think this is a great idea. We've had several people mention supporting a field for a controlled taxonomy. Which one used should be configurable by instance, but for thedatahub.org we'd want something pretty generic. How do people feel about SKOS, Eurovoc etc?

If you decide to add support for controlled vocabulary, then I fully support the idea of being able to import the vocabulary from SKOS.

Note that EUROVOC is available in SKOS format:
http://thedatahub.org/dataset/erovoc-in-skos

Best,
Richard