[ckan-discuss] DOI Systems

David Read david.read at okfn.org
Wed Nov 30 13:07:17 GMT 2011

On 30 November 2011 12:55, Lucy Chambers <lucy.chambers at okfn.org> wrote:
> Hi Data Management expert chaps,
>
> Laura Newman and I went to an interesting talk yesterday about Open
> Data in academic contexts at Cambridge University.
>
> One of the things that was suggested to incentivise sharing and
> production of resources was to increase recognition of Datasets and
> digital materials as equal in value to a written paper.
>
> It was suggested that promoting the use of DOIs (http://www.doi.org/)
> may be one way to make datasets traceable, distinguishable and hence -
> citable.

Cheers for the info on DOI - I'd not heard of this before, but then
I'm not in academia.

I guess there are plenty of ways to refer to datasets. The unique URL
in CKAN is one way, a DOI is another. (Or have I missed the point
here?)

I agree that it would be useful to cross-reference CKAN's URLs with
any other system of cataloguing that takes off. The question is
whether DOI is emerging as the standard in academic data, or are there
other candidates?

David