[ckan-discuss] it.ckan.net - upgrade request

Rufus Pollock rufus.pollock at okfn.org
Fri Oct 28 16:05:22 BST 2011

OK, we'll aim to action both of these in the next week and get them up
to full power.

@Richard: could you make our ops / sysadmin meetup next Tuesday afternoon?

@Stefano: ditto for you too.

I also mention one alternative that we have been exploring which is to
consolidate material in thedatahub.org and use groups in
thedatahub.org for language or region specific material.

theDataHub.org now has good language support and consolidating there
has the advantage of being part of a larger hub with more activity. In
addition it makes sense to have datasets from different places in one
place (and we're already seeing e.g. italian spending on theDataHub).
We're, of course, very happy to keep maintaining the separate country
instances but it may be worth thinking about whether a consolidation
would make sense in some cases.

Rufus

On 28 October 2011 13:32, Richard Cyganiak <richard at cyganiak.de> wrote:
> It would be great if ie.ckan.net could be upgraded to the latest CKAN version as well. There's an Irish Open Data Week from Nov 7 to Nov 11 and I'd like to advertise and show it at a few events.
>
> At the moment there's a 500 Server Error on the homepage :-( Luckily the rest of the site still works, including search, but this needs fixing.
>
> Also, what is the plan regarding the branding of these national sites? Should ie.ckan.net become ie.thedatahub.org?
>
> Best,
> Richard
>

> On 28 Oct 2011, at 12:43, Stefano Costa wrote:
>
>> Dear CKAN-hubbers,
>> it's been a while now since any work has been done on
>> http://it.ckan.net/ ‒ no new packages, no updates. This can be explained
>> by many reasons: lack of time on my side, launching of new data portal
>> at http://dati.gov.it/ (mostly cataloguing existing open data from
>> regional governments rather than new central gov data; it's Drupal-based
>> and AFAICT it has no machine-readable counterpart).
>>
>> I'm thinking about revamping it.ckan.net as a community-based data
>> catalogue, and it would be great to get an upgrade to the most recent
>> version of CKAN, including plugins (Geospatial, Apps, Ideas) that would
>> make it more user-friendly and appealing to a large number of potential
>> users and contributors.
>>
>> Obviously this needs some response from the Italian community, but as
>> soon as an upgrade is guaranteed, I will move on in that direction,
>> together with other people like Maurizio Napolitano.
>>
>> Thanks, ciao
>> steko

Co-Founder, Open Knowledge Foundation