[ckan-discuss] Data Hub groups instead of country CKAN instances (was: Re: it.ckan.net - upgrade request)

Jonathan Gray jonathan.gray at okfn.org
Fri Oct 28 18:44:40 BST 2011

There seems to often be a strong desire for people to have groups of
datasets on a site with its own branding, text, etc - so people have a
sense of ownership over their data site. This makes a lot of sense and
is fully understandable. E.g. I might want to maintain a list of
metadata from museums [1], or a list of data sources related to the
impact or climate change - with (crucially) not just the list, but
with images, text, and other content, or integrated onto another site
(e.g. my university department's website, or the blog of an NGO).

This could be mycustomsite.thedatahub.org or (even better)
anydomain.com/my-data-site. Ideally CKAN could go down the route of
Wordpress - and make it so you could boot something on any domain.

The question seems to be whether we boot separate instances - or start
to centralise around some 'main' instance. However you achieve this it
seems highly desirable to either have some mechanism for making sure
that any open, public dataset in the network of CKAN instances is
discoverable through some single point of access - either by having an
option to do federated search across all instances on every instance,
or by pulling metadata into some central instance (like
thedatahub.org).

Rather than boot loads of instances (which are expensive in terms of
maintenance, upgrades, sysadmin, etc), I like the idea that people can
create and edit groups via thedatahub.org, and embed this list in some
external site.

So what about making it easier for anyone to embed a group via a
Wordpress/Drupal plugin or via a bit of HTML / iframe?

Then we'd have the best of both: central curation at thedatahub.org +
custom sites, branding and ownership.

Separate instances could be reserved for people who wanted something
to administrate their own locked-down instance, or to manage a *lot*
of data - e.g. if they wanted to have a lot of different groups.

J.

[1] like this http://museum-api.pbworks.com/w/page/21933420/Museum%C2%A0APIs