[ckan-discuss] CKAN suggestions

David Read david.read at okfn.org
Mon Oct 31 17:22:14 GMT 2011

Here are some useful suggestions from a CKAN user. Comments from me are
added below and please others add theirs too.

* Autocomplete for the Author / Maintainer field
* Search by Author / Maintainer
We'd like to be able to search for packages by Author. It should
be possible to list all authors on the catalog. An interesting use
case would be to search for packages whose author is a specific public
body, or whose maintaner is a specific public company. So, in order
to prevent the same entity to occur many times with slightly different
wording or spelling, an autocomplete should be on the author and
maintainer fields when registering a new package or editing one.

DR: Autocomplete should be easy. @Tom can you look at this?
DR: Search by author already works, although you need to know the syntax
e.g. http://thedatahub.org/dataset?author=Javier so it's just a matter of
adding it to the UI. I guess we could just add author to the facets in the
search page - what do people think.

* A registry for apps
There could be a way for people to register applications or
mashups, and link them up with the dataset or datasets it uses. Also,
the package view should list all registered apps and mashups linked to
it.

DR: There has been some work towards this functionality in an extension:
https://bitbucket.org/okfn/ckanext-apps Hopefully someone will volunteer to
continue getting this operational. Anyone?

* Controlled Vocabulary Support - SKOS
    Besides the existing folksonomy tags for packages, there should be
the possibility that the catalog administrator could set up a
controlled vocabulary, in SKOS format, that would be used in a
specific field when an user would register or edit a package. The
field could use autocomplete to search on the labels for the
skos:Concept s and display them for users, but record the concept URIs
on the database.

DR: I think this is a great idea. We've had several people mention
supporting a field for a controlled taxonomy. Which one used should be
configurable by instance, but for thedatahub.org we'd want something pretty
generic. How do people feel about SKOS, Eurovoc etc?