[ckan-discuss] Flagging SPAM

Pablo Mendes pablomendes at gmail.com
Fri Sep 2 13:46:49 BST 2011

David,
Thanks for the prompt response.

 To be honest, although we need to clean up spam users, we
> are much more interested in cleaning up spam packages.

Exactly, me too. But if a spammer stays alive, it can create more packages.
If the spam package creation is automatic, and the spam package flagging is
manual, then we have a problem.
By flagging users I intend to block them from creating new packages. This
would force spammers to create a new user and give us some time to breathe.
By the way, do we have a captcha for user creation?

I also think that an incremental approach could work very well here. Start
with a "Flag Spam" button that at least blocks packages from the front page.
Subsequently we can use the information gathered to train automatic spam
detectors. This is related to some work I do, and I would be glad to
implement the classifiers if you give me some training data (for example
collected from the spam button).

Cheers,
Pablo