[ckan-discuss] sudo apt-get install data-pkg

David Read david.read at okfn.org
Mon Sep 5 10:30:58 BST 2011

Pablo,

Interesting suggestion to combine apt and CKAN for downloading data.
Rufus' original ideas for CKAN included a download tool 'datapkg' that
would work in a similar way to apt, only for data that was referenced
in CKAN.

I don't think we've considered further integration with apt itself. As
a first step it might be possible to mimic the apt syntax etc..

datapkg has been working for over a year as far as I'm aware, and
publicised on this list and the CKAN blog, but not a lot of interest
so far. Do check it out and let us know if it is useful to you:
http://ckan.org/2011/02/14/datapkg-0-8-released/

David