[ckan-discuss] drupal export to ckan / multi-language in ckan ?

David Read david.read at okfn.org
Fri Sep 30 13:14:18 BST 2011

On 30 September 2011 12:39, Hanssens Bart <Bart.Hanssens at fedict.be> wrote:

> Hi,

Great to hear from you Bart and pleased to hear about the progress with
data.gov.be!

> For our data.gov.be website, I'm looking if there is a module that could
> be used to export from Drupal 6 nodes to ckan packages.

I'm afraid not seen any Drupal modules to do the transfer of data from
Drupal to CKAN - it is usually the other way round. Most people that
integrate Drupal with CKAN use Drupal to provide a customised front-end to
the the CKAN data. i.e. CKAN holds the master copy, taking advantage of the
CKAN edit forms, revisioning, data management features etc.

> Since the website is available in 4 languages, I was also wondering if CKAN
> packages can contain titles, descriptions in multiple languages

Multiple languages for the metadata itself is not something we've got beyond
the concept stage yet. The plan is to use the dataset extra fields to store
these and let the CKAN logic layer server up the right text to the
front-end. But since you're not using CKAN as the front-end you can simply
store alternate translations for fields in extra fields here and your
front-end can do the processing itself.

> What about language info on the links to datasets ?  (e.g. a link to a list
> of cities with the city names in French and a link to the cities in Dutch)

I suggest you simply use multiple resources, use a resource extra field to
mark the language and let the front-end pick which ones to show.

I hope that helps, and let us know if we can help further.

By the way, will you be at the Open Government Data Camp in October? It
would be great to meet you there!

David